Quick Capsule Reviews: Jeff Tweedy's World Within A Song

Jeff Tweedy's newest book contains short and sometimes pithy discussions of songs that influenced his life and music. He intersperses them with memories and events that augment his thinking. Generally fun, often astute, occasionally maddening, but always entertaining, the book often goes in unexpected directions. Tweedy finds new life within the grooves and the stories that surround his musical discoveries. The most eye-opening moments  to me happen when Tweedy finds something in each song that might relate to any of us. However, I also loved his discussions of early SST punk and lesser-known songs, and he often changed my mind or gave me new perspectives to ponder. He might also influence your approach to some popular tunes that he covers. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense