Do you remember huH Magazine?


The other day when I was writing the "Track This" for Jawbox's "Cooling Card," something jogged my memory about music magazines I had read in my formative years, particularly those published while I was still in High School. Many, if not most, of them are gone now. They gave way to blogs and online publications. These include zines like Flipside, which covered mainstream and underground bands -- they also had some of my favorite columnists of all time, Punk Planet, which ventured further into Indie rock as it progressed, and MRR, which is still going strong.

The magazines that I read often included Alternative Press and Magnet, as well as Ray Gun Publishing's huH which turned me on to a ton of great music because it included a cd with each issue that served as a sampler for what had been released that month, divided by genre. While other magazines did this, huH undoubtedly was more inclusive in the types of bands these cds covered. In fact, these collections were the source for my appreciation of many of the 90's bands I have covered on this blog.

The Eels and Greenberry Woods are two that come to mind that have remained in heavy rotation because of huH. I'm thinking D Generation was another, but I know for sure that my appreciation for Tripping Daisy was magnified by reading about them in huH. I also discovered many great bands from other genres by reading the reviews. Hell, they even allowed Jello Biafra to interview Green Day.

huH might not have been entirely remarkable, but they did attempt to cover music in a much more comprehensive manner than the boy's club efforts of other larger magazines, or even the scene specific write-ups of most 90's zines. They attempted to be as inclusive as others like Flipside, and even had in-depth coverage of hip hop. The magazine had an interesting look; the issues were square and of uncommon dimensions - these efforts sort of resemble the experiments that Fantagraphic Books were doing with formatting and size at the time. Blurry, MTV style photos of the bands leap from the pages in a drastic contrast to the news print magazine formats of many of the other current magazines. I'm sure that marketing thought it would be edgy. It certainly worked for this music fan. In the tumultuous and trendy 90's, it was necessary to change it up to make a splash. I wish that more magazines were still doing this today.


Comments

  1. I remember huH. I don't remember how I discovered or first found out about them, only that I was living in Seattle in the 90's (a good time to be there)....and stumbled upon this great way to find out about good stuff to listen to.....first discovered the Goo Goo Dolls from their CD's which I looked forward to every month....
    Good times for me, happier, more prosperous and yet also more drama, and a time of much reflection and growing up in many ways....huH was a part of that, sort of the "background music"....at least part of my soundtrack for the 90's. I definitely lament the fact that they died, or rather that they killed huH and the idea behind it, not only because I miss my life then, or the magazine, but because I have since lost those CD's after years of moving around.....so now, all that's left of it for me are distant memories of cool music that I liked that came monthly to my home......Ah well, probably for the best they didn't continue it to this day, the music they'd be sampling would only be too disappointing and pointless in comparison to what we got back then. Farewell huH and thanks for the good times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to order the Alternative and Pop editions of the CDs every month. They were $6.99 but I only got the first 2 or 3 of each genre. It was the first place I heard "Wonderful" by Adam Ant. I remember Chicago "Dream A Little Dream of Me" being on one of them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember huH and I think it was amazing how inclusive it was. I discovered some great music and I think it came with VHS videos and then later CDs?? I was just on Google trying to remember which or was it both? Between this and Vibe in the mid 90s I was set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Thank you- I was trying to think of this dope music magazine that spanned multiple genres. I remember in like, 7th grade, I did a report on The Nonce, because they were clean and not like cuss-laden like a lot of the gangsta rap coming out in '95. Thanks for bringing me back, still have a few issues of this too, and some of the sampler CD's (though I remember I had gotten rid of some too, unfortunately, as I remember being put on to the alternative band Belly and Faith No More's King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime album). Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all in all they released about 77 different CDs by the end of their run (including all the genres)!
    i have almost got all of them now. just need a few more of the earlier ones...
    not a bad lineup of music, lots of stuff you would never hear on the radio. most of them only shipped with 10 tracks per CD, though the Alternative CDs had a few more tracks than the other genres. they changed the multi-genre format up partway through as well, then the case style not long after, probably to save money while still making money. probably part of why they went under.
    though interestingly, they started out censoring the songs (noticeably in the Rap releases), but after they merged all the genres into one CD each month, they started NOT censoring anything. weird, but probably the only good change to happen in the time they were running.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code