A City-Dwelling Hobo Contemplates the Bridges of his Youth



Train Trestle, Train Trestle
To the tune of an old Nick Cave song,             
Some would say you block the view 
of nature, of the sky, of the dirty, old 
dumpster behind Lakeview Resort.
I love your economy and utility.
The nature lover in me dismisses 
your role in bringing belching 
smoke to the heartland. 
Yet the romantic in me is 
enamored with travel.
Like most Americans, I 
respect the promise of 
coast to coast travel 
that you exemplify. Dark metal
and creosote wood bisecting nature.
Green grass peeks from under 
the wood of your tracks.
The foliage will take back the land,
but you will still peek from 
beneath its lush carpet.

Nature and commerce be damned.
We all have a job to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code