Forget Progressive Rock, I'll Take Power Pop, and I Won't Be Ashamed

I had an internet discussion with friends a few weeks ago and was shocked to find out that one of them was a Pink Floyd fan. Either I never noticed or ignored it because he never really seemed like the type. Of course, there is nothing wrong with liking Floyd, but it got me thinking about what I want in music since prog always reminds me of hanging out with stoners and listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the thousandth time.  At his suggestion, I attempted to listen to Pink Floyd's Division Bell. I made it through, but I was awfully bored. I enjoyed parts of it, but my mind strayed, and I wanted to listen to something pithier and more straightforward.

I know it is an unpopular opinion to rip on bands like Floyd in some circles, but they just don't do much for me. (Of course, other groups make a sport of it.) Nor does much radio classic rock because it lacks the hooks and melodies that I like. I'm not saying I don't listen to longer songs or other genres because I love many Jazz albums, and I am fond of prog/horror movie stalwarts, Goblin. I also love funk bands, especially Funkadelic, who build a groove for way longer than a few minutes and have been known to listen to experimental metal and indie rock. I cannot tell you how many times I have listened to that 25-minute version of Sonic Youth's "Diamond Sea." We used to play it on the jukebox to annoy the locals.

Generally, I return to shorter songs that either emulate pre-1970s music or come from that era. Whether I am listening to punk, classic country, folk, or power pop, most of these genres share a penchant for short, pithy songs with lyrics that get to the point. Some of them, like punk and power pop bands, were trying to recapture the spirit of pre-prog rock and roll. They reinvigorated rock and roll by stripping it down and searching for its roots, even though these bands tended to ignore earlier forms like blues and folk. People can yammer on about the smartness of many prog bands' lyrics and the virtuosity of their playing, but you can give me a three-minute power-pop song or a short hardcore burst from a punk band any time. 

I ended up asking my friends for suggestions for faster music, and they suggested thrash metal and various industrial bands like Skinny Puppy and KMFDM. I took those suggestions and put a bunch of those tracks in my playlist, but only got a few songs in before I decided on what I was craving, more power pop. I returned to them again later. 

My final playlist included some Weezer demos (I know, but I love the early stuff and always will), Matthew Sweet's 100% Fun, songs from several Bomp power pop comps, Brendan Benson, and Aimee Mann. There is something about power pop that makes it feel fresh. The songs are short and catchy, and although the lyrics might not be that deep, they maintain a personal resonance that always inspires. Lately, I have been looking for music with energy and simplicity. I don't need intricate musicianship or conceptual gimmicks. I want energetic songs with clear and interesting lyrics. Give me songs that tell a story without conceit and get in and get out. Power pop is the one genre that always cheers me up and just plain kicks ass. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code