Pool Sharkin' With The Stray Cats

When I was in high school, my friends and I used to play pool in my basement. We listened to music and imagined ourselves out of that tiny town, although I do not think any of us had the audacity to picture ourselves as pool sharks, hustling townies for their paychecks. More or less, we imagined ourselves fully grown and living a life that did not include lockers and gym class.
The Stray Cats' Built For Speed was one of my favorite albums at the time. I played it countless times during our pool sessions. I vividly remember Brian Setzer's cool vocals rising above the sound of breaks, miscues, and arguments over the kitchen and the granny stick.

When I hear the hits, "Rock This Town" and "Stray Cat Strut" on classic rock radio, I always picture that damp basement and group of guys; most of us still hang out from time to time, but I think I'm the only one that regularly spins the Stray Cats. However, my favorite tracks from that album, which were on CD repeat were and generally remain  "Runaway Boys," "Rumble in Brighton," and their blistering, yet faithful cover of The Johnny Burnette Trio's "Baby Blue Eyes." Even the ballad, "Lonely Summer Nights," still elicit memories of teenage angst.
Thus, an album released in the summer of 1982 that reached back to the 1950s became my favorite of the summer of 1995, and will always remain a favorite. It takes me back to high school, but it also reminds me of pool, camaraderie, and memories that will always be indelibly linked. I cannot ask much more from a rock and roll record. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code