Northern Wisconsin Romantic

I drove up to northern Wisconsin yesterday through alternating rain and sun. Once I drove past Tomahawk the rain turned to slushy snow and sleet. Turning onto highway 8, traffic trailers, trucks loaded down with planks, and general messiness slowed me down.




The trees up here are still struggling to leaf out and the brown, dirty grass attempts to push past random snow piles. In Illinois, the trees are in full bloom, yet the nights are cold and wet. I'm glad to be back in the North Woods, if just for a couple of days. The place is lovely even in its worse vernal dress. The birds are attempting to sing, hastening the full arrival of spring, then summer -- all before the darkening doom and gloom of the change back to fall in the northern woods. The seasons here change in a heartbeat. The earth and the people are always hopeful that the seasons might just last a bit longer. Luckily, they don't have to put up with stretches of 100 percent humidity for weeks at a time that I have grown accustomed to in the flat, corn-covered lands of northern Illinois. Here they  sigh lightly as summer rains brush against the boughs of White Pines, as the Blue Jays and Mourning Doves sing from the telephone wires. Deep in the knowing romanticism of my travels, I dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Up All Night, or Why I Watch B-Movies

Realities: Jean Shepherd and Randy's Only Defense

Contractions: Henry Standing Bear's Ethical Code